Happy July 4th everyone! Happy Summer!
After a whirlwind of taking care of my patients this morning, I am heading to the Big Apple to visit my children. As you get around to reading this blog post, I may already actually be there. As many of you know, being the mother of my two wonderful children is the biggest and sweetest joy in my life. So it probably comes to no surprise to you that I have been really looking forward to this short summer jaunt for quite a while now.
Don’t get me wrong. My husband and I thoroughly enjoy being empty nesters. I have to admit that it is rather a blast being just a married couple again, rebooting our relationship in context of a new lifestyle, and enjoying our time together. Plus, when your kids are happy and in a good place, you’re happy, too, right? Our favorite thing to do is to explore the exploding food scene in Detroit and the surrounding Metro area. We marvel at how easy it is to just pick up and drive down to the “D” to check a new venue out. We just love it! When the kids were little, this is something we would never dream of doing and never could do logistically. And the sheer exhaustion of working all day and then parenting all night literally would zap all energy for anything else. Lest you misunderstand, let’s not forget that those exhausting days spent raising our kids were also glorious ones, because the simple joys of parenthood were just that– so very glorious in the simplicity of loving them and beautiful in the everyday unique experience of just being with them. I loved and will always love being a mother.
So I am off to New York City, dear blog reader, to see my kids. However, I couldn’t leave you without some skincare words of wisdom. Here, I am reposting a blog about skincare in the sun, apropos for the weekend of July 4th, don’t you think?
Happy, Healthy, Sun-Safe Skin!
Is Your Skin Summer Ready?
(Original Post June 3, 2016)
Summer temperatures are suddenly upon us, and you know what that means! It’s time to get your skin summer-ready. Not only do the sun’s rays get more intense during the summer months, but also as it gets warmer, more of our skin gets exposed and can potentially get damaged. Follow my simple skincare guidelines and you will have your skin summer-ready in no time.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30-45 that protects against both UVA and UVB rays everyday, even on cloudy days. Did you know that a cloudy day may feel cooler, but still let’s in 80% of the sun’s damaging rays? Many people will get a sunburn on a cloudy day because they forget their sunscreen.
- Reapply your sunscreen every 1-2 hours, especially if you’re sweating or taking a dip in the water.
- Cover up as much as possible with a hat and a shirt if possible.
- Don’t forget to protect your eyes with sunglasses as well. The same damaging rays that affect the skin can damage your eyes too.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Remember the best way to get Vitamin D is through your diet and vitamins supplements, not through tanning or sun burns.
- Keep hydrated by drinking water, not coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverages. Remember when it’s hot, you will lose water through your skin through insensible water loss, and you don’t have to be even sweating. Water simply evaporates off your skin, more often when the temperature gets into the 80’s and higher. Dehydration can occur quickly.
- Everyone loves a tan, but don’t get it from a tanning bed. Tanning beds use UVA rays to develop that tan in your skin, but UVA rays penetrate very deeply into your skin. The most alarming issue with tanning beds is that it increases your risk for malignant melanoma. The World Health Organization has deemed tanning beds a carcinogen to humans, just like tobacco. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, using tanning beds before the age of 35 can increase your risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, by 59 percent, and the risk increases with each use. Melanoma is increasing faster in females ages 15-29 than in males of the same age group. And according to the American Melanoma Foundation, melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old. If these facts are not enough to keep you away from tanning beds, they also increase your risk for other skin cancers, cataracts, and ocular melanoma, and cause premature wrinkling and aging. It also suppresses your immune system and is known to be addictive. Please, just say “No” to tanning beds.
- Professional spray tans, self-tanners, or bronzers like Jergens® Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer or Sally Hansen® Airbrush Legs, or South Seas® Island Glow Body Bronzer are wonderful alternatives to getting that bronzed, sun-kissed look, but remember that you still need a sunscreen to protect against burning from the sun’s rays, even though you may be sporting that golden glow.
- Exfoliate and improve winter-skin roughness and dryness with a gentle alpha-hydroxy cleanser, like Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser® for the face, Glycolix® 10% Body Wash for the body, or a skin polish like Replenix® Clarifying Brightening Polish. All three are available for purchase at Honet Dermatology/Cosmetic. Another fantastic facial cleansing tool is the Clarisonic®, which can gently exfoliate through sonic cleansing technology. Or even a simple, inexpensive mesh bath pouf can exfoliate body skin effectively. Remember to always exfoliate gently to prevent irritation to your skin.
- Moisturize daily to keep your skin healthy with an emollient moisturizer containing urea or an alpha-hydroxy acid like Eucerin Smoothing Repair®, or one with the selective exfoliator AquabeautineXL® like in Restorsea® Retexturizing Body Butter, sold exclusively at Honet Dermatology/Cosmetic.
- Need to get your skin in prime shape the fast-track way? You still have time to tighten your face and neck with Ultherapy®, contour your body with CoolSculpting®, refine and brighten your skin with SilkPeel® Dermalinfusion or remove hair with Nordlys®. Call us at Honet Dermatology/Cosmetic to schedule your customized cosmetic consultation.
With these guidelines in mind, your summer-ready skin will let you have your fun in the sun the smart way and look great while you’re doing it!
–Dr. HHappy July 4th!